That’s pretty normal. We all have routines; routines so reliable, so set, so comfortable and useful that we don’t have to think about them anymore.
An example of how mindless these routines become is when you realize in the car on the way to work that you forgot to brush your teeth and can’t figure out how it happened. (I’m not the only one who’s done this, am I?)
It’s efficient not having to think about what to do next after getting out of bed, or arriving at the office, or … but that mental efficiency, that routine, becomes a rut and we stop even considering that there might be a different way. A more interesting, more fun, or at least more noticeable way to move through the world.
You don’t have to throw your whole life into turmoil to break up your routines and bring some awareness and possibility for surprise back into your day (but you can if you want to, WHooHoo!!) A little nudge out of the comfort zone will do the trick.
Here are a few “little nudges” I recommend you try, starting right now.
- When you brushing your teeth use the other hand. Be prepared to need a little extra time and to make a bigger than usual mess. For extra credit, while brushing stand on one foot for at least 30 seconds then switch to the other foot – this is great for your balance
- Take a different route to work, or school, or the grocery store, anywhere you go often? It can be as easy as turning left instead of right when you pull out of the driveway.
- Do you walk the dog on the same path every day? Go the opposite way this time.
- Change how you put on your shoes. If you always start with the left foot, go with the right one. (Quick! Do you know which one you start with?) If you wear socks too, try doing both sock and shoe on one foot then do the other, or both socks and then both shoes.
- Sit in a different chair. Do this in your office, at the dinner table, or while watching TV (thereby forcing someone else out of their regular spot.) A change of view will do you good.
Become aware of your routines and look for ways to change them up a little, or a lot. You may be surprised at what you’ve been missing.
Want to learn more simple tricks for changing your life for the better? Things that you can implement right now? Click here and I will send you “3 Tips Your Mother Never Told You for Living Happy NOW!”